We are in the process of designing a brand-new map that will let you enjoy WvW while waiting to enter the existing Borderlands and Eternal Battleground maps. This new map, the Edge of the Mists, will be able to accomodate as many people as want to play in it at any given time. Unlike the existing WvW maps, once a version of the Edge of the Mists fills up, another will be created so that anyone who wishes to take part can do so.
While this map will allow you to earn rewards that will help you in WvW, it will not contribute directly to your world’s score. This means worlds with a large population won’t be able to use their size to gain an unfair advantage with this map. This is a place where you’ll be able to test your WvW skills, earn World XP, and experience content at the cutting edge of WvW.
It’s imperative to us that we provide space for as many players as possible before we continue to make improvements to WvW, because every time we make changes and updates, more players get stuck waiting in line. This new map will eliminate that entirely and make it so everyone can experience the grandeur of WvW whenever they wish.
While I don’t play WvW, this sounds like an excellent idea! I’ve never been a competitive player, and the queue system really drove me away from WvW, but I might actually try this if it works the way it sounds.
I love the monster movie horror feel to this update’s design. :)
Queen’s Speech (haha) coming next week!
Queen’s Jubilee coming soon!
New items in the gem store!
In January, we talked about where we wanted Guild Wars 2 to go in 2013. We’re a little over halfway through the year, and we felt it was time to give you an update on where we stand, where we’re going, and discuss in more detail some of the systems you’ll see in the second half of 2013.
MMORPG.com summarized important points of this article here.
- Ever more Living World content, with much more permanent effects on the world.
- Return of holiday events, but the focus will be on more permanent and impactful content.
- New skills and traits for EVERY PROFESSION, as a form of endgame progress.
- Retooled Champion Rewards Chest to make these bosses more exciting.
- Dungeon Complete Bonus Rewards to encourage actually completing dungeons for gold.
- New Crafting Material Rewards for WvW or PVE for all types of content in these areas.
- Account Magic Find will replace current gear-based Magic Find via consumables and food.
- Fine and Masterwork Salvages = chance to acquire magic find consumables to raise this.
- Crafting Professions boosted to 500!
- With crafting boost comes… Ascended Weapons and Armor to be crafted (or very rarely dropped).
- Precursors and Legendary Gear Changes + New Weapons and even new legendary gear types.
- Select the stat combo type you want on your legendary at will, no more transmutations!
- The WvW Orb Mechanics is going to see its replacement, with more details to come.
- More rewarding sPVP to line rewards up with PVE and WvW.
- Queue and Leaderboards for Solo Play, separate from ranked team play.
- New PVP map types.
- PVP Legendary Weapon Skins
- And of course the $10,000 ArenaNet PAX Tournament!
- Eastern release will usher in new tutorials to explain the game’s functions better in all regions.
- And last but definitely not least: the brand New LFG Tool is finally coming!
ArenaNet announced yesterday that the next installment in the Guild Wars 2 living story was in the works with the first installment of The Secret of Southsun coming next week. We cornered Isaiah Cartwright to find out more. (via Guild Wars 2 (GW2) Interviews: Isaiah Cartwright on ‘The Secret of Southsun’ - MMORPG.com)